Friday 21 April 2017

Productive Meetings

On Wednesday, Martyn attended his first Senior Management Team meeting. It was mostly in Bislama so he didn't understand much of it. 
We have downloaded lessons from the Peace Corps so we'd better start doing some serious learning this weekend. Such phrases as "wanem nem blong yu?" (what is your name?), "olsem wanem?" (how are you?) and "lukem yu" (see you later) will only get you so and no further. By the way, all vowel sounds are the same as in Maori.

I had a meeting with a local Civil Engineer who's contact details I had acquired through dropping into the Hawkins Construction office which I discovered by chance. I had a favour to ask him even though I had no reason to expect his help, so I asked the Lord to go ahead of me. 
The PWMU (Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union) have plans drawn up for up for a small 2 storey hostel/training centre, drawn by a draftsman and lacking structural detail. Cyrille my new engineer friend agreed to get one of his staff to draw up the structural design properly, for free! What a wonderful answer to prayer! The PWMU have been fundraising for this building for 8 years! I really hope I can help them get a step closer to getting it built.

Then I had another meeting with the accreditation officer for the Vanuatu Qualifications Authority to find out more about getting a course accredited with them for Onesua Presbyterian Technical College. That also went very well and I came away much more confident in being able to help on that project. 

1 comment: