Thursday 20 February 2020


Last Day for This Trip

We made our way by bus to our separate offices for our last day working in Port Vila. I got all the documents that go in the students' gift bags (immunisation chart, blood pressure chart etc) confirmed and got Jonathan to print them ready for Cyrilline to laminate later. The students will each be given a bag of things to help them in their role on completion of the course. A set of 6 health posters will be included, donated by PCANZ and printed in NZ on very tough synthetic paper to hopefully resist the ravages of the humid climate. 

I'm very glad that Cyrilline is feeling much more confident about her role as administrator now. I've just been searching for a photo of Cyrilline, Judy and me - we had such fun together - but I can't find it anywhere 😞.

I planned to just say goodbye and leave quietly but I wasn't allowed to do that. Elder Jara gave a speech, then one of the students spoke on behalf of them all, 
  

and another one presented me with a local dress.

Then it was my turn to speak, so I encouraged these young people to really speak out the good health message they are learning and not be shy. I shared with them what one of my trainers taught me on becoming a tutor at Wintec - say in a loud voice "I claim this space!" and I got them to say it with me, except in Bislama it goes something like "Hemi spes blong mi!" (This space is mine). I hope that's the message they got our of what I said 😂.

What a privilege to once again be involved in helping the wonderful people of Vanuatu in even a small way. We have to return home but a our prayers stay with them. Thanks be to Papa God, all the glory is His.

No comments:

Post a Comment