Wednesday 21 March 2018

World Oral Health Day

PCV Health and the Vila Central Hospital (VCH) dental team were involved in a joint awareness campaign down at the central market yesterday. I went down to see if I could help out.

There was an opening ceremony, and I started off sitting at the back of a group of chairs with a doctor I met there, called Toki, who comes from Mongolia and is working here for WHO. Then a group of school children arrived and needed the seats we were in, and I found myself ushered into the front row with representatives from Ministry of Health and Education and Dr Toki. Speeches were given, and salusalus (leis) presented,  including one for me! It was made from frangipane and smelled heavenly, but I was rather embarrassed as I didn't deserve it!

Dr Toki at centre front wearing a cap, dental assistant Barkon giving a speech - he was on the same sailing mission as me last year for the survey.


 PCV's Bob giving an impromptu speech.
 Two of my favourite girls from the after-school reading class last year, Leiwia on the left and Jennifer on the right. They were in the school class that came for the oral health promotion.

PCV's Morinda handing out toothbrush/paste packs. (Photo by Daily Post)

After the ceremony, there was fresh fruit for refreshment, then the team got stuck into doing free check-ups and handing out free toothbrushes with samples of Colgate toothpaste. There wasn't anything for me to do, so I went back to the office to work.

Today the rain has come back, after several dry days. We'd just got out of the habit of bringing our umbrellas every day 😏

The volcano on Ambae Island, is getting more active again, spewing ash over the west and south of the island. It is causing significant problems for the people there with food crops and water supplies being contaminated, also animals and people suffering from the fumes in the air. I pray they won't have to be evacuated again like they were last year.




No comments:

Post a Comment